Skip to main content

Private and Out of State Colleges/Universities

Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE)

If you are a resident of a WICHE (Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education) state, you are eligible to request a reduced WUE tuition rate of 150% of the resident rate at one of the 145 participating schools in the West.

Search the WUE database  to see which institutions participate, and which programs they have available at the WUE rate.

WICHE states include: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wyoming.

Eligibility (This information is from the WICHE website)

To be eligible for WUE, students must be a resident of a WICHE state (Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wyoming).

Your residency alone is does not guarantee you the WUE rate. Some colleges and universities also have additional criteria such as ACT/SAT test scores or high school GPA. WICHE does not set qualification criteria for WUE applicants, nor do we process applications or participate in the student selection process.

The WUE reduced tuition rate is not automatically awarded to all eligible candidates. Many institutions limit the number of new WUE awards each academic year, so apply early! Consult each institution’s profile for admissions requirements and application deadlines.

Private/Out of State Applications Made Simple

Online Applications
Common Application
  • Log onto
  • READ all instructions thoroughly
  • Complete student sections of the application.
  • Go to School Forms section of the application “Invite & Assign a School Official”
  • Follow the directions to add names of the persons) from whom you are requesting a letter of recommendation.
  • An email will be sent to each person. Once invited, your Academic Advisor (or other recommender) will complete their evaluation/recommendation online and attach all necessary documents.
  • Order an official transcript through  to be sent to the Common Application
  • Send SAT, ACT, AP scores to all colleges.Mid-Year reports will automatically be sent by your Academic Advisor to all Common Application schools.
Other Online College Applications
  • Follow instructions for the particular college’s online application and submission of the Counselor Secondary School Report
  • Order official transcripts to be sent to each college (see instructions for ordering transcripts)
  • Order SAT, ACT, and AP scores to be sent to each college
  • Check w/your college to see if a Mid-Year report and transcript are required
Letters of Recommendation Packet

May also be used for scholarship applications

NOTE: If using the Common Online Application, your Academic Advisor will complete the Letter of Recommendation online after you have invited her via the online application