Skip to main content

Volunteer Hours & Extra-Curricular Activities

Students are not required to do service hours as a condition of graduation from Aliso Niguel High School/Capistrano Unified School District, however, most universities will, as a part of their application process, ask students to document service hours, extra-curricular activites and volunteer hours.  The general rule of thumb is to get involved in an activity that you are passionate about and can commit to for a length of time.  Universities will ask what types of activtiies you were involved in, how long you were committed to the activity and what skills you developed or how it affected you personally. 

Download a sample volunteer hours tracking sheet  OR just keep your own log. Be sure to keep a record of the organization's contact information, including the person you worked most closely with.

College 101

Planning for College

Student standing against a wall with a backpack

NCAA Eligibility Center

If you are a student athlete who would like to participate in Division I, II or III sports while enrolled in college, you must sign up at the NCAA eligibility center listed below. Be sure to read all the information in the Student Athlete Guide so you understand the process.

NCAA Eligibility Center  

If you are planning compete in college level athletics at a Div I college or university you MUST MEET NEW ACADEMIC REQUIREMENTS

View the NCAA Approved Course List for Aliso Niguel as of 2017-2018

Remember, Coordinated Science I and II do not meet NCAA science requirements. Algebra IA and Algebra IB count as ONE year of Algebra. 

Fresh Start coursework from this school/program meets NCAA nontraditional core-course legislation.

CAPISTRANO ONLINE APEX INTERVENTION (credit recovery) coursework designated as "CAPISTRANO - ONLINE" on students' transcripts, does NOT meet NCAA nontraditional core-course requirements.

Anatomy of the College Application Process

ROADMAP TO COLLEGE:  View a powerpoint presentation about applying to college, deadlines/dates, admission statistics for UC/CSU and more.

Choosing a College Criteria:
Choosing a college is a very personal decision. Students should begin this process by considering a variety of factors that will directly impact their learning and ability to graduate from college, such as, academic atmosphere, housing, size of college, etc. 

You may wish to use the College Board website "Big Future  You will answer some basic questions about yourself and your learning style. Then choose from a wide variety of options (ie campus size, location, median GPA, and more) to identify colleges that might be a 'good fit' for you.

College Application:  Universities prefer that admissions applications be completed online.  You can access CSU and UC applications through their prosective websities.  To complete an admissions application to private universities, you wil need to  go directly to the school website.  Websites can be found through a search online.

College Application Fee:  Application fees will vary per institution, and will be due upon submission of your application.  Some universities offer fee waivers for those who qualify. 

High School Transcript:  To complete your CSU or UC application, you will need an unofficial copy of your high school transcript for self reporting your classes and grades.  Once you have been accepted to a CSU or UC campus, that particular campus will prompt you to have an OFFICIAL transcript sent from CUSD directly to them upon graduation from high school.  If you are applying to a private university, however, an OFFICIAL transcipt will be required as part of the application process.  To order your official high school transcript please follow the instructions on the Transcript page.

College Admissions Exams/Tests:  As part of the application process, students will be required to submit the results of college admissions exams:  ACT or SAT I;  SAT II for UC and some private universities.  For more information regarding these exams, please see College Admissions Testing on the navigation bar to the left.

College Essay or Personal Statement:    Private/Independent Universities as well as University of California will require a college essay as part of their application process.  The college essay is written in reponse to a prompt given to the student in the application. A college essay wil not be required for applications to the California State University.

Letters of Recommendation: Most private university and scholarship applications will require that students submit letters of recommendation.  Some will specify who the recommender should be (teachers, employers, coaches, community and church leaders); others simply indicate how many recommendations are required.  Letters of recommendation give evaluators and selection committees' alternate information about you the person.  Keep in mind that these individuals will already have objective information - your grades, classes and test scores - they want to know about your character and who you are outside of the classroom, more appropriately, how others see you!!