Skip to main content

Work Permits

How Do I Get a Work Permit?

Obtaining Work Permits 


  1. Click on the link below to print out the form B1-1 Statement of Intent to Employ a Minor and Request for Work Permit-Certificate of Age
        Work Permit Application 

  2. Complete Minor’s Information and School Information

  3. Parent or legal guardian must sign their portion

  4. Take form to employer – they must complete and sign employer section

  5. Scan and email completed form with all signatures to:


If you do not have a scanner, you can take a photo of the completed application and email the photo to the email above

  1. Completed Permit to Employ and Work (form B1-4) will be emailed back to you

  2. Student dates and signs the “minor’s signature” section, and takes the completed permit back to his/her employer




  • Work Permit Applications must be signed by the employer.

  • A parent or guardian must also sign the application.

  • A social security number is required to process a work permit.

  • Student ID will be verified through district records.

  • The completed “official” work permit is signed by the student and taken to his/her employer.

  • Each new job requires a new work permit.

  • Minimum 2.0 GPA required for a work permit when school is in session. No minimum GPA required during the summer.



Entertainment Work Permits:

Entertainment work permits will not be issued through the schools during the summer.

For instructions to obtain an “Entertainment Permit” in the summer please use this link. 


Please allow at least 24 hours to process Work Permits


A work permit is a legal document required by the state of California that allows a person less than 18 years of age to hold a job.


Frequently Asked questions


Overall, a 2.0 GPA is required to have a permit issued during the school year, for summertime employment, the  GPA requirement is not enforced, but it will be come the fall… so keep  your grades up!




Minors ages 12 through 17 are required to get work permits before starting a job. A minor under the age of 12 cannot receive a work permit except in the entertainment industry. There are a few exceptions to these rules. No work permit is required for the following jobs:

(1) certain agricultural industry jobs

(2) odd jobs in private homes such as gardening and babysitting,

(3) newspaper delivery jobs

(4) self-employment.  


Yes, the work permit can be cancelled and taken away at any time by a high school administrator.  In addition, a work permit can be cancelled at a parent’s request with good reason. Good reasons for canceling a work permit include: job does not  fit legal requirements, hours scheduled create a truancy or absentee problem for the students, or job is causing student to fail classes at school. 


A minor must obtain a work permit for each job. A work permit is no longer valid (or expires) when a minor quits or leaves a job. A new work permit application must be filled out for each new job. In addition, all work permits in the state of California expire five days after the opening of school in the fall. This is to insure that all minors report to school in the fall before continuing to work after summer vacation. Therefore, if a minor obtained a job and work permit in June and still had that same job in September, the work permit would expire. The minor would have to obtain a new work permit for the new school year even though it was for the same continuing job.