About Aliso Principal's Message Administration Staff Discipline Procedures Contact Information School Site Council
Academics Faculty Fine / Practical Arts Library and Media National Honor Society
Activities Activities Contact Info Wolverine Marketplace Publicity ASB Boosters Class Council Clubs Dances Facilities Fundraising Performing Arts Senior Activities BRANDING
Aliso Athletics IPE
Registering For Classes Academics & Curriculum Information NEWS/Calendar Contact Us Counselor's Corner AP Information Transcripts Testing College, Scholarships and Financial Aid Information Summer School Guidance Evening Presentations Naviance - Family Connection Work Permits
Absence Procedures Tutorial
Academics and Curriculum


A level change is when a student moves from a more rigorous to a less rigorous level of the SAME subject.

  • Students may request a level change up to the FOURTH week of school DEADLINE: September 18, 2015
  • Requested subject change may cause one or more additional courses to change periods or teachers
  • Absolutely NO period or teacher requests will be considered
  • The withdrawal grade from the former class will be transferred to the new class
  • Change request forms are available in the Guidance office or online
  • Change request forms must be signed by the student, parent and teacher/coach before submitting to the Academic Advisor. Emails and phone calls from parents will not be allowed in lieu of a signature
  • Allow up to 48 hours for change requests to be processed.
  • IMPORTANT: Students must continue to attend all classes on their schedule (including the one they are trying to change, until their Academic Advisor confirms that the change has been approved)



To be on track for graduation, students must pass all their classes.

  • In grades 9 and 10 they must pass a minimum of 6 classes at 5 credits per class for a total of 30 credits each semester (60 for the year)
  • In grades 11 and 12 students must pass a minimum of 5 classes at 5 credits per class for a total of 25 credits each semester (50 for the year).
  • Students who fail classes must meet with their Academic Advisor to develop a plan to 'get back on track'. This may involve one or more of the following:  attending summer school,  Credit Recovery program/courses, and adding extra classes to the school day.
  • Students who are behind in credits MUST take a minimum of 6 classes.


See the chart below for credit information:


9th grade 30 30 60
10th grade 30 30 120
11th grade 25 25 170
12th grade 25 25 220  (graduation)

Independent PE Application

CLICK HERE for the IPE Online Application Link


All IPE Applications should be completed online by Parents


  • The IPE Application is available to parents through the link below, and also through a school's normal communication platforms.
  • Submitted applications will generate a time-stamped email response to applicants.
  • The email will include a PDF attachment (approximately 5 pages). Applicants will need access to a printer.
  • After completing the packet, supporting documentation, signatures etc., please return the IPE application packet to your school site. 
  • IPE applications are not considered complete until parents return the organized application packet back to the school site.
  • CUSD will review the approval process in June.
  • IPE applications will be screened for approval in late July/early August 2016.
  • Approval notification, explanation of the IPR process and IPE expectations will be sent directly to families directly from the appropriate IPE teacher.
  • Denials will be messaged from the school site and provide follow up assistance.


Remember: High school graduation requirements are not the same as college admission requirements (i.e. UC / CSU A-G Requirements). 

KNOW THE DIFFERENCE; your future deserves it!


Many times parents and students have questions such as:

  • How many AP classes should I take to get into a good college?
  • How do I get on a sport team?
  • For entrance to a UC or CSU, is it better to get an A in a class that is not honors or AP or to get a B or lower in the non-honors/AP class?

Click Here for answers to these questions and more...

Volunteer Hours

Capistrano Unified School District does NOT require volunteer hours for graduation.

Some clubs may require volunteer hours (National Honor Society, California Scholastic Federation).

Competitive colleges and universities look for students who have been active at their school and community. Students should look to become involved and volunteer in areas in which they have an interest or passion, not "what is the college looking for". There are no minimum or maximum hourly requirements. Students should keep a personal tally of the hours worked, jobs done, supervisor information, etc. This information will be useful for job applications and college applications.

Non-Discrimination Statement

The Capistrano Unified School District prohibits discrimination, harassment, intimidation, and bullying in all district activities, programs, and employment based upon actual or perceived gender, gender identity, gender expression, race, ethnicity, color, religion, ancestry, nationality, national origin, ethnic group identification, sex, sexual orientation, marital or parental status, pregnancy, age, physical or mental disability or on the basis of a person’s association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics. Reference: AR 1312.3, BP 1312.3 and BP 5183.

Rich Montgomery, Executive Director, Human Resource Services/Compliance
33122 Valle Road, San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675
(949) 234-9200

Website Disclaimer

ATTENTION: The Capistrano Unified School District (CUSD) does not assume any responsibility or liability for the content that may be present within external Websites linked to and from this site that are operated or created by or for organizations outside of the CUSD. The linking to or from this site does not imply on the part of the CUSD or any of its schools any guarantee of quality, assumption of liability or endorsement of the organizations maintaining external Websites. Those organizations are solely responsible for the operation of their Website and quality of the content including advertisements, links, media, images and text that they may deem appropriate.